Pawanmuktasana: Practice this yoga asana every day to get rid of belly fat, relieve constipation  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Daily yoga practice is linked to several physical and mental health benefits
- Practicing Pawanmuktasana can improve digestion and promote weight loss
- The Wind-Relieving Pose is also considered as one of the best asanas to reduce belly fat
New Delhi: Practicing yoga every day is associated with several health benefits. Yoga can reduce stress levels, help you lose weight, and lower your risk of chronic conditions. Yoga can help overcome overeating or binge eating, which can lead to a number of negative health consequences, including weight gain. Eating too many calories than you need can promote excess belly fat. Yoga asanas such as Pawanmuktasana or Wind-Relieving Pose can help relax the mind and the body. It is also one of the best asanas to burn belly fat.
While there are many factors that can make you binge eat, you’re more likely to overeat if you’re stressed or anxious. Extreme calorie restriction to lose weight can also trigger binge eating. Whether you’re finding it hard to get rid of stubborn belly fat or put a brake on overeating, adding Pawanmuktasana, also known as Gas Release Pose, to your daily routine can work wonders on your body and mind – it will help reduce binge eating, improve mental health, promote regular bowel movements, aid weight loss.
How to do Pawanmuktasana or Wind-Relieving Pose
- Lie on your back or in a supine position, with your arms beside your body.
- Exhale, bringing your knees toward your chest and pressing your thighs on your abdomen with clasped hands.
- Inhale again.
- As you exhale, raise your head off the floor, letting your chin to touch your knees.
- Hold this pose as you take deep, long breaths in and out.
- Release the pose to return to the starting position, bringing your head down first and then your legs – this is one round.
- Do 2-3 rounds and then relax.
Tip: As you exhale, make sure that you tighten the grip of your hands on the knee and increase the pressure on the chest. As you inhale, loosen the grip.
Benefits of Pawanmuktasana or Wind-Relieving Pose
- It strengthens abdominal muscles and reduces belly fat.
- It massages the intestines and other abdominal organs.
- It tones the arm, leg, and buttocks.
- It aids weight loss.
- It promotes digestion and relieves constipation.
- It strengthens the back.
- It enhances blood circulation in the hip joints.
- It eases tension, especially in the lower back.
A word of caution: You should avoid doing this yoga pose if you have any of the following health issues – high blood pressure, hyperacidity, hernia, slip disc, heart problem, testicular disorder, neck and back issues. Women are advised to refrain from practicing Pawanmuktasana during pregnancy and menstruation.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.